Friday, June 11, 2010

“Good Readers and Good Writers” by Vladimir Nabokov



Imagination and intellect, two things one must have to be a good reader, at least for writer/reader Vladimir Nabokov. Nabokov believes one must have a harmonious balance between imagination and intellect to fully grasp and appreciate what’s being read. I think Nabokov depicts reading not as a skill one acquires learn, but as a possibility to emerge oneself in a world that an author creates. A world were one could truly learn what it is the author has written, but only if not tainted with preconceived notions and bias that would defer one of the message. When I read I usually only read things that interest my certain taste, electronic magazines, internet articles, and certain books. So with Nabokov’s idea, I’m not a good reader, and probably a bias one, but do I agree? I do. It wouldn’t hurt to read just to learn, and to take fully what I’d learned and judge it, like it should be; I think it’s only then that one has read.

No comments:

Post a Comment